The responsibilities of the paraeducator are generally of a support nature with the supervising teacher assuming the primary responsibility for students and the classroom.The Special Education Instructional Paraeducator Responsibilities
1. Diagnoses educational needs.
1. Scores and compiles data associated with testing and other types of assessment; carries out informal assessment.
2. Plans instructional programs.
2. Assists with the planning process; development of materials/activities
3. Grade students’ performance.
3. Checks and scores student work.
4. Takes responsibility for new concepts, skills and each new classroom activity.
4. Reinforces and reviews concepts and skills. Assists students in performing activities initiated by the supervising teacher.
5. Revises instructional programs.
5. Monitors student progress in instructional programs and relates findings to supervising teacher.
6. Designs instructional materials.
6. Helps develop instructional materials designed by the supervising teacher.
7. Designs and implements behavioral intervention plans.
7. Monitors and reinforces student performance concerning behavioral interventions through observation; assumes data collection, compilation, and other record keeping duties.
8. Communicates with parents.
8. Communicates with teacher.
9. Responsible for behavioral management.
9. Manages students during times when the teacher is involved in the regular performance of professional duties or has logical emergency reasons for being out of the classroom; play supportive management role when supervising teacher is present.