When Salina began to expand to the southeast in 1948, it became evident that a school soonwould be needed for that area. The Boardof Education purchased a tract of 6.68 acres on which to build an elementaryschool. The original plot was purchasedat a cost of $4000.
Heusner Elementary began when one class eachof kindergarten through second grade met at Kansas Wesleyan University during1949-50 while Heusner was being built. These students probably attended LowellSchool prior to that time.
The firstunit was built and occupied in the fall of 1950. It consisted of six classrooms, akindergarten room and the office. Theoriginal main entrance was the circle drive on the south side of the building. That is why the address was formerly 425 EastJewell.
The secondunit was approved by the Board of Education in February of 1953 and wasoccupied on February 8, 1954. Itconsisted of the multi-purpose room (now the library), kitchen and sixclassrooms. The present main entrancewas part of this addition. Duringconstruction, classes were run in double shifts.
The thirdunit was built in 1956 and added a second kindergarten and six more classroomson the north end of the building which formed the “T”.
The firstlibrary was located in the western kindergarten room. Later the library was moved to two classroomsthat are now room 11 and 12. The wallbetween the two rooms was removed so that the library was the size of twoclassrooms. When more classroom spacewas needed in 1990, the “cottage” library was built on the west side of theschool and the wall between the two original rooms was rebuilt!
In 1991,two rooms were added to the northwest side of the “T”. In 1994, two more rooms were added; one onthe northwest and one on the northeast.
In November1998 voters approved a $98.8 million bond issue to update and expand schools inthe district. Heusner’s addition andrenovation were part of the last of the phases of this multi-year project. Construction on the addition started in the springof 2002. This new construction added areasfor parking and bus loading; a multipurpose room for lunch, physical educationand school programs; a kitchen serving area; classrooms for fifth grade; and new classrooms designed for music and art. The addition was occupied in December 2002.
Renovation took place in the springand summer of 2002 and included new flooring, paint, lighting, ceilings andphones in the existing classrooms; a new roof, air conditioning and a newheating and ventilation system; converting space into a new demonstrationclassroom; renovating office space for use by student support services; addinga computer lab; and remodeling classrooms for special education. When the addition was completed in December2002, the old multipurpose room was converted into a larger library/media centerand was finished in April 2003. InAugust of 2003 the address was changed to 1300 Norton to more accuratelyreflect the location of the front entrance. An open house for the public was held on April 27, 2003.
Mrs. Doris Wyatt was the firstacting principal when Heusner Elementary was originally formed and met atKansas Wesleyan during the spring semester of 1950. The following fall, the original building wasopened and classes were held. Miss ErleenLindeman was the principal the first year (1950-51). The teaching staff included Mrs. Doris Wyatt,kindergarten; Miss Irene Ford, first grade; Miss Mary Agnes Haley, secondgrade; and Miss Lindeman, principal and third grade.
History of Heusner's Principals
Miss Erleen Lindeman
2006 - present
Heusner wasnamed for Mr. William S. Heusner who was Superintendent of Schools in Salinafor 25 years from 1913 to 1938.