Procedures for Homebound and/or Alternative Setting
Homebound is defined as special education services provided in the home (or during non-school hours) because the student is unable to attend school due to physical or mental health reasons. A doctor’s notice stating the student is unable to attend school is needed for physical health concerns.
Alternative setting (non-school setting) is defined as special education services provided in a non-school setting or during non-school hours due to long-term suspension or expulsion.
1. The IEP team determines that a student needs to be placed in an alternate setting. This may be due to medical reasons, behavioral concerns and/or long term suspension.
2. The IEP case manager completes the appropriate IEP paperwork. Notice of Meeting, Consent Form, Changes to services, MIS data and participants in the meeting. Don’t forget to make a quick note at the top of each applicable IEP form noting the date and purpose of the addendum.
3. The IEP case manager fills out the Homebound Student Information Sheet and sees that a copy is given to everyone on the distribution list. In schools outside USD 305, it is the school’s responsibility to find the homebound instructor (certified teacher) and to set up transportation if it is needed. School districts are responsible for transportation costs for the student needing transportation.
4. The CKCIE Program Coordinator will turn in a copy of the Homebound Student Information Sheet to the CKCIE payroll secretary.
5. It is the responsibility of the IEP team to re-evaluate the homebound placement a minimum of every nine weeks.
· A reintegration plan for returning to school should be addressed at the IEP in which the student is placed on homebound.
· When a student misses three consecutive days of homebound instruction the IEP case manager is to reconvene the IEP team to re-evaluate the homebound placement and services.
6. The homebound instructor, at the beginning of each month, will turn in the Homebound and Hospital Instruction form to the CKCIE payroll secretary.