Cougar Cross-Country 2018
· Practices will be at South Middle School and Bill Burke Park
· All practices end by 3:50. Please have your athlete picked up by 4:00.
o Pick athletes up at the same location as practice
· South Middle School Procedures
o Practice begins at 2:50
o Pick up students in the back parking lot by the football field.
· Bill Burke Park
o Practice begins at 3:10, come dressed for practice
o Meet and pickup at South shelter house
· We will run in the rain as long as it is not lightning
· All injuries need to be reported to Coach Allen immediately
o Athletes will be sore! Ice and stretch at home
· Following an injury, a doctor’s note must be provided, clearing the student to run. This applies to any student that visits the doctor for injury or special circumstance that could hinder the student from running.
Absences and being late to practice
· ISS and detentions are unexcused tardies. Makeup tests or assignments under the direct supervision of a building teacher may be excused with a pass from the teacher. There will be no unexcused absences.
· Team members will notify Coach Allen directly if they cannot make it to a meet or practice.
· If a team member is at school they must be at practice. If the team member gets ill during school and must go home, the student should give a written note from the nurse to the coach.
· Dismissal from the team may occur when:
o The student is ineligible for two consecutive weeks.
o Any problem at school or with school staff (any ISS, OSS, or timeout placements). Unexcused absences may result in dismissal.
· Students who are failing any classes will be encouraged to go home or to their teacher for assistance. Academics come first – cross country comes in a distant second.
o Eligibility reports will be provided to Coach Allen weekly. Athletes must be eligible in order to practice and attend meets.
· Either on campus or off campus for practice and meets, the student represents South Middle School and the SMS HONOR code.
· Horseplay and Bullying will not be tolerated. This includes: intimidation, pushing and shoving, profanity, lack of sportsmanship, not following direct instructions and disrupting practice for others. These actions may result in the offender being sent home from practice and/or extra work at practice. This is an unexcused absence and could result in a suspension from a meet and/or dismissal from the team.
· Students must be in attendance by 10:00 am on the day of any activity to participate
· Bus Transportation will be provided for out of Salina meets only. If you are unable to arrange transportation for the in-town meets (Scared Heart and Salina Invitational) please contact Coach.
o The following meets the students will have transportation to and from
§ Clay Center, Manhattan, South East Saline, Newton, and Hutch
- KSHSAA requires 14 team practices prior to the first competition with each athlete completing 9 practices before you are able to compete in a meet. Any absences from practice will result in an athlete being required additional practices to gain eligibility for their first competition meet.
· Each meet may be structured differently
o Team awards, Individual awards (number of places will vary), or team and individual awards.
o Meet sheets will be sent home with athlete
· Depending on the meet and maximum entries all athletes may not attend all meets.
· 4 divisions for competition--7th girls, 8th girls, 7th boys, 8th boys
· Out of Town Meets: If a team member wishes to ride home with their parents after a meet they must have a transportation note in the OFFICE prior to departure for the meet. If you choose to ride home with your parents anyway – then the student will forfeit participation in the next meet.
· All team members will be responsible for their individual uniform that will be checked out to them. (meet top and bottom, sweat top and bottom). Uniforms are numbered and the number checked out will be the number that is returned. The uniforms should be washed in cold water and drip dried – DO NOT DRY THEM WITH HIGH HEAT. Should all or parts of the uniform be lost or damaged, the team member will be charged for a replacement.
· All undergarments for meets must be black. Including any tights, spandex, long sleeves, etc. KSHSAA requires all visible apparel worn under a school uniform to be unadorned and of a single, solid color.
· Team members should leave necklaces, earrings, and other forms of jewelry at home.KSHSAA prohibits any participation in outside competitions during the Cross-Country season. This involves road races, fun runs, fundraisers, etc. Athletes are not permitted to compete in the same sport while being a part of a KSHSAA team. You may participate the day following the last meet.
Contact for Coach Zach Allen firstname.lastname@example.org or call / text 785-342-7172
Unified School District #305 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Any person having inquiries concerning Unified School District #305 compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, ADA, Title IX, or Section 504 is directed to contact the Unified School District #305 Executive Director of Human Resources, P.O. Box 797, Salina, Kansas 67402, 785-309-4726.