2016-2017 Salina USD 305 Board of EducationFebruary 13, 2018
Recognitions & Presentations
Superintendent’s Excellence Awards
Certificates were presented to the following students who qualified for state competitions:
Salina High School Central/Choir: Central High had the following students selected to the KMEA All-State Honor Choir. They were Grace Demaree, Aaron Hawley, Noah Highsmith, Bradyn Houltberg, Carly Redding, Annie Taggart, Kaleb Wood and Makenzie Clark. Ryan Holmquist is the vocal music director.
Salina High School South/Band: South High’s band students were selected to participate in the KMEA All-State Band. Trevor Herrington was selected for percussion and Derek Leamer for percussion. Darren Brooks is the band director.
Salina High School Central/Band: Central High had the following student selected to participate in the KMEA All-State Band. Tyler Corl was selected for trombone. Ben Rohrer is the band director.
Salina High School South/Orchestra: South High had the following student selected to participate in the KMEA All-State Orchestra. Maria Bonilla was selected for violin. Alyssa Lane is the orchestra director.
Salina High School Central/Orchestra: Central High’s orchestra students were selected to participate in the KMEA All-State Orchestra. Alora Nesting was selected for violin and Jonathan Hess selected for viola. Lindsay Modin is the orchestra director.
Salina High School Central/Thespian: Central High Thespian students included Sam Lenkiewicz, Sarah Hazelton, Annie Taggart, Audrey Burgoon, Kaleb Wood, Will Hayes, Rebecca Hough, Bradyn Houltberg, Sean Rahman and Isaac Johnson. Chad Nulik is the theatre director.
Salina High School South/Thespian: South High Thespian Troupe received Gold Honor Troupe award at the 2018 Kansas State Thespian Conference. Troupe members include Nathan Zimmerman, Nick Salem, Anthony Nitbouapha, Maisy Lowers, Addison Praytor, Courtney White, Lauren Zimmerman, Savannah Bonilla, Brenda Castro, Albanee Garcia and Aiden Trumbo. Kate Lindsay is the theatre director.
Salina High School South/Debate: The Debate team included Tiana Marion, Maya Daily, Ayleen Escobedo, Maddy Turner, Destiny Harris, Miriam Benavides, Courtney McCullough, Mone Fritz, Gavin Jones, Santiago Vasquez, Lou (Asi) Mailau, Brandon Stewart and Madeline Lilak. The team is coached by Megan Hagaman.
Salina High School Central/Art: Kansas Regional Scholastic Art Awards Competition participants included Jacob Geisen, Gold Key, Silver Key and Honorable Mention; Annie Hayes, Gold Key and Honorable Mention; Carolyn Gutsch, Gold Key and Honorable Mention; Eva Tong, Gold Key; Sydney Sorell, Silver Key and Honorable Mention; Payden Cox, Silver Key; Ruben Esparza, Silver Key; Carlos Gonzalez, Silver Key; Troy Miller, Silver Key; Jade Mosier, Silver Key; Grace Hopkins, Silver Key; Rafael Madera, Honorable Mentions; Keaton Beach, Honorable Mentions; Adrian Santos, Honorable Mentions; Amaya Svendblad, Honorable Mentions; Madilynn Bolen, Honorable Mention; Elijah Cairo, Honorable Mention; Caroline Donatell, Honorable Mention; Grace Holgerson, Honorable Mention; Delaney Nash, Honorable Mention; Logan Roush, Honorable Mention; and Tammy Watkins, Honorable Mention. Larry Cullins and Kiersten Dykes are the art teachers.
Appointment of Certified Contract(s) Not Subject to the Negotiated Agreement for 2017-2018
- Morrison, Beth, .5 FTE reading coach, South High School
Appointment of Certified Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Maldonado, Juan, English language arts, District Office
Transfer of Certified to Administrative Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Andrews, Geoffry, lead teacher/Coronado Elementary, assistant middle school principal/South Middle School
Transfer of Certified Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Baird, Megan, grade 4/Cottonwood Elementary, math coach/Cottonwood Elementary
- Burnett, Tyler, grade 5/Heusner Elementary, math coach/Schilling Elementary
- Rouse, Mikki, grade 2/Cottonwood Elementary, elementary math coach/Oakdale Elementary
- Schmidt, Ben, grade 5/Schilling Elementary, certified student support coach/Schilling Elementary
Retirement of Administrative Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Strong, Deborah, assistant middle school principal, South Middle School
Retirement of Certified Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Banker, Sue, art, Meadowlark Ridge Elementary/Heusner Elementary
- Dreiling, Anne, science, Lakewood Middle School
- Geis, Cynthia, high incidence special education, Central High School/CKCIE
- Hernandez, Jesus, foreign language, South High School
- Niedens, Debbie, library media specialist, Lakewood Middle School
- Shaw, Rebecca, school nurse, South Middle School
- Troutfetter, Marcia, physical education, South Middle School
- Vaughn, Audrey, grade 5, Coronado Elementary
- Warhurst, Mary, school nurse, Central High School
- Webb, Debbie, ELA teacher, Lakewood Middle School
- Wendt, Denise, high incidence special education, Stewart Elementary/CKCIE
- Wood, Mary Pat, Title 1 teacher, Oakdale Elementary
Classified Appointment(s) for 2018-2019
- Sowers, Madysen, head cheer coach, South Middle School
Classified Appointment(s) for 2017-2018
- Abernathy, Richard, instructional assistant II, Cottonwood Elementary
- Adam, Donald, night custodian, Cottonwood Elementary
- Arroyo, Linda, food service worker II, Schilling Elementary
- Bombardier, Tom, overnight custodian, Central High School
- Burcher, Robert, paraeducator, CKCIE/Minneapolis Jr/Sr High School
- Chaput, Kenneth, food service delivery driver, Central High School
- Cianciolo, Annette, roving food service worker, Food Service BOE
- Clark, Tyler, golf assistant boys high school, Central High School
- DeGarmo, Tonya, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Escamilla, Alondra, paraeducator, Stewart Elementary
- Falcon, Andrew, paraeducator, South High School/CKCIE
- Grabon, Susan, paraeducator, CKCIE
- Holmes, Melissa, paraeducator, South High School/CKCIE
- Johnson, Connie, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Johnson-Couch, Karlie, food service manager, Lakewood Middle School
- Kampfe, Baylee, psychometrician II, CKCIE/Ell Saline
- Krajicek, Ryan, paraeducator, CKCIE/Southeast of Saline Elementary
- Krause, Janae, paraeducator, Lakewood Middle School/CKCIE
- Morrow, Kami, paraeducator, Meadowlark Elementary/CKCIE
- Parks, Katelyn, paraeducator, CKCIE/Chapman Elementary
- Patrick, Karas, family consultant, Heartland Early Education
- Perales, Yesenia, family consultant, Heartland Early Education
- Pierce, Lindsey, paraeducator, Heusner Elementary/CKCIE
- Robb, Stacey, psychometrician II, CKCIE/Southeast of Saline Elementary
- Rosas, Maria, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Smith, Frank, assistant softball coach high school, Central High School
- Soldan, Rhonda, paraeducator, Central High School/CKCIE
- Walsh, Morgan, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Wilson, David, night custodian, Lakewood Middle School
Classified Retirement(s) for 2017-2018
- Gengler, Pam, food service worker I, Lakewood Middle School
- Paugh, Cari, paraeducator, South Middle School/CKCIE
Classified Resignation(s) for 2017-2018
- Bonilla, Brittany, instructional assistant II, Cottonwood Elementary
- DeJesus, Nina, paraeducator, Central High School/CKCIE
- Fischer, Rossi, paraeducator, CKCIE/Chapman Senior High School
- Flanagan, Ronnie, roving food service worker, Central High School
- Frazier, Abigail, paraeducator, Heusner Elementary/CKCIE
- Garcia, Marielena, teacher assistant III, Heartland Early Education
- Hawkins, Ashley, paraeducator, CKCIE/Heartland Early Education
- LoVullo, Jim, .5 FTE tennis head middle school/.5 FTE tennis assistant middle school, Lakewood Middle School
- Lund, Julie, paraeducator, CKCIE/Southeast of Saline
- Palensky, Troy, assistant boys tennis coach, Lakewood Middle School
- Prim, Kaye, food service worker I, Lakewood Middle School
- Thompson, Penny, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
Classified Transfer(s) for 2017-2018
- Brown, Darcy, building operator/Central High School, building operator/South High School
- Glavin, Dustin, roving building mechanic/Operations Center, building operator/Central High School
- Johnson, Desiree, lunchroom aide/Meadowlark Elementary, food service worker II/Lakewood Middle School
- Magee, Jeremy, building operator/South High School, building mechanic/Central High School
- Mares, Angelica, instructional assistant II/Sunset Elementary, paraeducator/CKCIE/St. Mary’s
- Thompson, Penny, lunchroom aide/Coronado Elementary, teacher assistant II/Heartland Early Education
- Winn, Misty, lunchroom aide/Coronado Elementary, paraeducator/Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
Resignation of Certified Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Brown, Heidi, grade 1, Meadowlark Elementary
- Ebel, Dena, .23 FTE math tutor, Lakewood Middle School
- Fontes, Anne, grade 2, Oakdale Elementary
- Herrington, Kylie, English language arts, South High School
- Meis, Lauren, grade 4, Schilling Elementary
- Siegrist, Donna, grade 4, Sunset Elementary
- Singleton, Alexandria, kindergarten teacher, Sunset Elementary
- Stein, Elane, .5 FTE math coach, South Middle School
- Vinson, Kathleen, curriculum technologist, District Office
- Voorhees, Samantha, mathematics teacher, Central High School
- Winger, Ashley, FACS, South High School
Appointment of Supplemental Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Duncan, Brian, tennis assistant middle school boys, South Middle School
Resignation of Supplemental Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Johnson, Jericho, .5 FTE dance team high school, Central High School
- Hall, Michael, football head high school, Central High School
- Robinett, Terah, .5 FTE dance team high school, Central High School
- Vorhees, Samantha, volleyball assistant high school, Central High School
- Wolf, Kurt, .5 FTE department chair fine arts high school, South High School
The board of education approved the following encumbrances: (1) KCAV, $41,850, interactive projectors for new and remodeled classrooms at South and Central High Schools; (2) MasteryConnect, $53,300, premium student licenses and web professional development; (3) CDW-G, $569,050, chromebooks, additional warranty and Academic Google Chrome OS Management Licenses; and (4) McCownGordon Construction, $62,090, provide additional access control at South High’s auditorium entrance.
The board of education approved the audit contract with Varney & Associates, CPAs, LLC for the year ending June 30, 2018.
Cottonwood PTA Gift Acceptance
The board of education approved the gift from Cottonwood PTA in the amount of $26,318 for the purchase of playground equipment.
Heusner PTA Gift Acceptance
The board of education approved the gift from Heusner PTA in the amount of $9,152 for the purchase of an additional set of swings.
Kansas Early Head Start Child Care Partnership Grant
The board of education approved the Kansas Early Head Start Child Care Partnership Application for $576,000. This grant will provide center-based all-day services to 51 enrolled children birth to age 3.
Kansas Early Head Start Home Visitation Grant
The board of education approved the Kansas Early Head Start Home Visitation Grant Application for $242,000. Donated services include home visiting and center-based child care partner programming. The program serves low income families.
Data Infrastructure Replacement
The board approved the purchase of switching and wireless equipment from Alexander Open Systems in the amount of $1,047,188.30.
The board of education approved the 2018-2019 school calendar.
The board of education approved the tentative calendar for the 2019-2020 school year.
School Board Reports
- Emma Doherty, board member, attended the District Health Council meeting, the Calendar Committee meeting and the Kansas Association of School Boards (KASB) Foundations of Boardsmanship.
- Ann Zimmerman, board member, attended the Head Start Policy Council meeting, the Central High School (CHS) Culinary Lab for eggs Benedict, and gave historical and musical presentations throughout the district.
- Gary Denning, board member, attended the Salina Chamber of Commerce Annual Banquet and the theatre performances at both high schools.
- Jim Fletcher, board member, attended the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meeting, the musicals at the high schools, the SIT tournament at the high schools, Heusner Elementary School for National Read Aloud Day and the KASB Foundations of Boardsmanship.
- Carol Brandert, vice president, reported that she had attended multiple meetings.
- Nedra Elbl, president, attended musicals at the high schools, KASB Foundations of Boardsmanship, Leave Committee meeting, Salina Chamber of Commerce Board meeting and annual banquet, CHS eggs Benedict Culinary Lab, Salary Committee meeting, and Heartland’s Annual Grantee Assessment meeting.
Upcoming Dates of Importance
- Monday, March 12, Central High Ribbon Cutting/Open House, 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 17, Chamber Legislative Meeting, Chamber, 8:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 10, Salina Education Foundation Reception, 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 21, Chamber Legislative Meeting, Chamber, 8:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 24, Salina Stadium Ribbon Cutting, 4:30 p.m.
Dr. James Hardy, superintendent of schools, reported that Marilyn Patterson was recognized with a Spotlight letter for her work as volunteer coordinator for Meadowlark Ridge Elementary School’s General Mills Box Tops program. Her efforts over the past several years have resulted in over $5,500 for their school. Dr. Hardy was a visitor to the Central High School Culinary lab with eggs Benedict and attended a variety of faculty meetings throughout the district. Dr. Hardy reported that the first meeting of the new District Site Council is scheduled for February 19, which will be an opportunity to receive important feedback. He reported that the Equity Council Steering Committee is making progress and plans to present materials to the Board of Education in March. Dr. Hardy recognized Neda Elbl, board president, for her support of new board members at KASB orientation trainings.
The board of education recessed into executive session for negotiations and personnel. After ending executive session, the board accepted a certified resignation.
The board of education received information on the Kansas Education Systems Accreditation (KESA).