2016-2017 Salina USD 305 Board of EducationOctober 10, 2017
The You Make A Difference Award is presented to staff members whose exemplary actions support students, colleagues and the mission of Salina Public Schools. Recipients of these awards receive a lapel pin and a handwritten note personally delivered by a board of education member.
Opportunity Now Service Provider
When Opportunity Now students need emotional support they always find a listening ear and helpful advice from Jamie. Always accepting the toughest challenges with a grateful and willing heart, Jamie brings knowledge and expertise to help students make meaningful changes. Thank you Jamie, for making a difference!
Paraeducators at Opportunity Now
Cynthia Lanterman, Ana Ingram, Brenda Hull, Mary Holeman, Betty Jurgensen, Darlene Hoeffner, Sherry Bledsoe and Kathryn Snell go above and beyond their typical school duties in many ways. They organize and facilitate students’ enrichment activities, volunteer for school-based events, prepare meals and help organize for parent-teacher conferences and family style dinners. Thank you paraeducators for making a difference!
Lakewood Middle School Building Operator
During the summer USD 305 hosted the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) budget workshop and its 165 attendees at Lakewood Middle School. Scott provided oversight including arranging enough tables and chairs from around the district, waxing the floors and creating signage. Thank you Scott for making a difference!
District Business Office Accounting Specialist
Shirley was the go-to person who had a key role in the success of the KSDE budget workshop held in Salina. Shirley coordinated set-up, food and drink management and registration for the event. Thank you Shirley for making a difference!
Bond Projects Update
Jamie Scheck, deputy director of bond projects, updated the board about the 2014 bond projects.
High School A/V Presentation
Shelby Dinkel, Central High School teacher, and Seth White, South High School teacher, presented information on the AV Communications Pathway. Joining in the presentation were Central High School students Kamryn Arnold and Gage Burmaster.
Certified Appointment(s) for 2017-2018
- Opheim, Julia, physical therapist/.4 FTE, CKCIE
Certified Transfer(s) for 2017-2018
- Dinkel, Shelby, journalism teacher/South High School/Central High School, broadcast teacher/Central High School
Certified Supplemental Transfer(s) for 2017-2018
- Harner, Taylor, cheerleader sponsor assistant middle school/South Middle School/1.0 FTE, cheerleader sponsor assistant middle school/South Middle School/.5 FTE
Classified Appointment(s) for 2017-2018
- Carney, Mikki, paraeducator, CKCIE/Southeast of Saline Elementary
- Chaput, Kerry, paraeducator, CKCIE/Sacred Heart Jr/Sr High
- Diehl, Stalee, paraeducator, CKCIE/Bennington Elementary
- Geissert, Jeny, Title I instructional assistant, Cottonwood Elementary
- Graefe, Erik, paraeducator, CKCIE/Abilene High School
- Harrington, Patrick, paraeducator, South High School/CKCIE
- Hoover, Vickie, teacher assistant II, Heartland Programs
- Kaiser, Mickayla, paraeducator, CKCIE/Herington Elementary
- Ketterman, Laura, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Krebs, Graysyn, teacher assistant II, Heartland Programs
- Nelson, Mary, paraeducator, South High School/CKCIE
- Rhodes, Patricia, paraeducator, CKCIE/White City High School
- Riess, Kasey, assistant debate coach, South High School
- Sowers, Madysen, cheerleader sponsor assistant middle school, South Middle School
- Walker, Christopher, night custodian, Cottonwood Elementary
- Yates, Dakota, debate assistant high school, South High School
Classified Resignation(s) for 2017-2018
- Fritz, Jordan, assistant girls basketball coach, Lakewood Middle School
Classified Transfer(s) for 2017-2018
- Mayorga, Tim, softball assistant high school/Central High School, softball head high school/Central High School
The board of education received the audit for fiscal year 2017.
The board of education approved a special meeting for Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. at the district office for the purpose of executive session for personnel and at 5:15 p.m. for a board worksession to work on the development of a board governance document.
2017 KASB Delegate and Alternate
The board of education appointed Ann Zimmerman, board member, as its representative to the Kansas Association of School Boards (KASB) Delegate Assembly. Mary Anne Trickle, board member, was appointed as alternate.
Law and Public Safety Partnership
The board of education approved the Law and Public Safety Partnership with Salina Area Technical College.
School Board Reports
- Mary Anne Trickle, board member, attended the Kansas Association of School Boards (KASB) regional meeting in McPherson.
- Ramona Newsom, board member, presented a You Make a Difference award.
- Ann Zimmerman, board member, attended the KASB regional meeting and presented a You Make a Difference award.
- Brett Cooper, board member, attended the KASB regional meeting.
- Nedra Elbl, president, attended the KASB regional meeting, presented a You Make a Difference award and attended a football game.
Upcoming Dates of Importance
- Tuesday, October 17, Candidate Forum, KWU, 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 27, Partners 4 Success Graduation, Chamber Annex, 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, November 9, SHESC Legislative Luncheon, SHESC, 10:00 a.m.
- December 1-3, KASB Annual Convention, Wichita
Dr. James Hardy, superintendent of schools, attended the Salina Chamber of Commerce board meeting and toured the Salina YMCA. Dr. Hardy met with Representative JR Claeys. He met with Salina Area Technical College to begin the process of turning over property to them. Dr. Hardy attended a Kansas Wesleyan University student event and a community meeting at St. John’s Missonary Baptist Church. He also attended a Salina Symphony performance at the Stiefel Theatre for the Performing Arts.