2016-2018 Salina USD 305 Board of EducationJanuary 8, 2019
The You Make a Difference Award is presented to staff members whose exemplary actions support students, colleagues and the mission of Salina Public Schools. Recipients of these awards receive a lapel pin and a handwritten note personally delivered by a board of education member.
Molly Cherry, ESL Instructor
Cottonwood Elementary School
Molly’s influence is appreciated by students and staff alike, notably, her ability to promote a feeling of calm throughout the building as students wait patiently and quietly for their buses. Colleagues credit her creativity for improving their experiences with bus duty. Thank you Molly for positively impacting students and staff at Cottonwood!
Michelle Augustine and Michelle Chora, Night Custodians
Heusner Elementary School
Heusner’s evening custodians have become an integral part of the school family. Their enthusiasm to support a positive school culture was evident when they used their own time during weekends to decorate classroom doors for super hero and grinch themes. Thank you, Michelle Augustine and Michelle Chora for making a difference!
Michelle Post, Secretary
Always positive, attentive, on-task and grounded in serving students, Michelle wears many hats at Opportunity Now. She works with alternative placement and homebound efforts, serves as health delegate, coordinates multi-agency involvement and shares her technical expertise with staff. Thank you Michelle for making a positive difference at Opportunity Now!
Certificates were presented to secondary teachers honored as Renaissance Teachers of the Month from September 2018 through December 2018. Teachers included Michael Stauffer, Teree Rohleder, Traci Pfeifer, Danton McDiffett, Central High School; Lesa Landauer, TJ Slade, Gary Seibel, Matt Mosher, South High School; Kandis Crawford, Amy Frost, Kaysie Chrisman, Miranda Lumley, South Middle School; and Michael Billinger, Elizabeth Kinion, Mandy Ediger, Kathleen Haynes, Lakewood Middle School.
Classified Appointment(s) for 2018-2019
- Allen, Destiny, paraeducator, South High School/CKCIE
- Baumberger, Kendra, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Bennet, Marvin, grounds maintenance worker, South Middle School
- Cole, Shaelly, paraeducator, CKCIE/Salina Child Care
- Dickson, Vanessa, paraeducator, Meadowlark Elementary/CKCIE
- Giles, Melody, paraeducator, CKCIE
- Kuder, Brittany, paraeducator, CKCIE/Minneapolis Elementary
- Rodriguez, Mariana, night custodian, South Middle School
Classified Resignation(s) for 2018-2019
- Aranda, Claudia, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Bretado, Haydee Martinez, bilingual instructional assistant, Central High School
- Crenshaw, Shirah, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Will, Bonita, lunchroom aide, Schilling Elementary
- Wills, Emeryld, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
Classified Retirement(s) for 2018-2019
- Cleveland, Cynthia, paraeducator, CKCIE/Bennington High School
Certified Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Droge, Paige, mathematics, Salina Public Schools
- Purdy, Allyne, low incidence special education, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
Resignation of Certified Contract(s) at the end of 2018-2019
- Abel, Joanie, kindergarten teacher, Cottonwood Elementary
- Anderson, Abbi, grade 2, Heusner Elementary
- Brown, Linda, family and consumer science, Central High School
- Burger, Shelda, counselor, Central High School
- Busker, Gay, adaptive special education, CKCIE/Wilson Jr/Sr High School
- Gillespie, Heidi, high incidence special education, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Meier, Steven, gifted, CKCE
- Miller, Allison, reading teacher, Lakewood Middle School
- Phillip, Shelby, math teacher, Lakewood Middle School
- Slade, Tyler, business education, South High School
- Vakadewatabua, Shawna, kindergarten teacher, Oakdale Elementary
- Waldron, Alyssa, English language arts, Lakewood Middle School
Resignation of Supplemental Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Cross, Tim, football head assistant high school, Central High School
- Cullins, Larry, volleyball head high school, Central High School
Transfer of Classified Appointment(s) for 2018-2019
- Breen, Karen, paraeducator/South High School, attendance clerk/South High School
- Cadwell, Shelby, paraeducator/Sunset Elementary/CKCIE, paraeducator/South High School/CKCIE
- Monk, Angela, night custodian/South Middle School, night custodian/Meadowlark Elementary
- Peterson, Amy, paraeducator/CKCIE, paraeducator/Learn & Grow Abilene/CKCIE
Transfer of Classified to Certified Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Zier, Monica, paraeducator/CKCIE/Ellsworth Elementary, high incidence special education/CKCIE/Ellsworth Jr/Sr High School
Transfer of Certified Contract(s) to Administrative Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Exline, Curt, lead teacher/Oakdale Elementary, interim principal/Salina West
Stewart PTA Gift Acceptance
The board of education approved the gift from Stewart PTA in the amount of $9,900 for the purchase of 33 chromebooks.
The board of education approved the bid for one sport utility vehicle from Long McArthur, Inc. in the amount of $38,210.
Athletic Trainer Services
The board of education approved the two-year agreement with Salina Regional Health Center for athletic trainer services.
2019 Summer School Program
The board of education approved the 2019 Summer School Program and reviewed the results of the summer of 2018 program.
Salina West Alternative Program
The board of education approved, beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, relocating the Salina West Alternative Program students, with student support staff, to their respective high schools to allow for a complete educational experience with full access to opportunities that will facilitate future success.
School Board Reports
- Carol Brandert, vice president, attended the Diploma Completion Program (DCP) graduation and a tea event at Cottonwood Elementary School.
- Gabe Grant, board member, attended the DCP graduation and shared appreciation on behalf of the board at Meadowlark Ridge, Coronado and South Middle schools.
- Ann Zimmerman, board member, attended the DCP graduation, performed music for 5th grade students and attended the League of Women Voters Lunch and Learn featuring the Cultural Crawl.
- Jim Fletcher, board member, attended the Operations staff breakfast, the Heusner inservice, a Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meeting and visited Oakdale Elementary School.
- Gary Denning, board member, delivered a You Make a Difference award at Cottonwood Elementary School.
- Nedra Elbl, president, attended the DCP graduation, the Coronado chili cook-off and delivered You Make a Difference Awards to Heusner Elementary School and Opportunity Now.
Upcoming Dates of Importance
- Thursday, January 10, Special Meeting, 5:30 p.m.
Dr. James Hardy, superintendent of schools, attended holiday concerts before the winter recess and professional development events on January 7. He will join fellow superintendents in a webinar with the Kansas Governor-elect Laura Kelly. Dr. Hardy recognized the level of commitment and many contributions of USD 305 School Board members in honor of board recognition month.
The board of education recessed into worksession to review the results of the community survey from Patron Insight, Inc.