2016-2017 Salina USD 305 Board of EducationNovember 14, 2017
Certificates were presented on behalf of the Kansas Association of School Boards (KASB) who participated in KASB (Kansas Association of School Boards) academy training last year. Those receiving certificates were: Nedra Elbl, board president, received an Honor Roll Level I certificate; Ramona Newsom, board member, received an Honor Roll Level I certificate; Ann Zimmerman, board member, received an Honor Roll Level I certificate; Mary Anne Trickle, board member, received an Honor Roll Level II certificate; and Johnna Vosseller, board member, received an Honor Roll Level I certificate.
Appointment of Certified Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Teller, Jessuli, speech language pathologist, CKCIE
Certified Retirement(s) for 2017-18
- Flenthrope, Patti, early childhood special education, Cottonwood Preschool/CKCIE
Classified Appointment(s) for 2017-2018
- Alarcon, Angela, title I instructional assistant II, Oakdale Elementary
- Bunce, Tracy, paraeducator, CKCIE/Salina Christian Academy
- Carrasco, Gloria, overnight custodian, South High School
- Clayson, Julie, family support worker, .5 FTE Heusner Elementary/.5 FTE Sunset Elementary
- Hiebsch, SanDee, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Johnson, Aaron, paraeducator, Sunset Elementary/CKCIE
- Lara-Johnson, Ericka, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Laudemann, Savannah, paraeducator, CKCIE/White City Elementary
- Miller, Eryn, paraeducator, Cottonwood Elementary/CKCIE
- New, Brylee, basketball assistant girls middle school grade 8, South Middle School
- Ottenmeier, Jean, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Pinkall, Tayler, instructional assistant II, Oakdale Elementary
- Schneider, Brandi, basketball assistant girls middle school grade 8, South Middle School
- Shields, Misty, paraeducator, CKCIE/Abilene Middle School/Eisenhower
- Skinner, Jennifer, lunchroom aide, Schilling Elementary
- Thornton, Jeremiah, family support worker, South High School
- Train, Brook, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Williams, Erin, administrative assistant I/Central High School, paraeducator/Central High School/CKCIE
Classified Resignation(s) for 2017-2018
- Anglin, Madonna, paraeducator, CKCIE/Ell Saline Jr/Sr High
- Campbell, Susan, instructional assistant II, Meadowlark Elementary
- Cerda, Christina, bilingual educational support staff, South Middle School
- Killingsworth, Christian, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Snowball, Wendy, food service worker I, South Middle School
Classified Retirement(s) for 2017-18
- Jones, Philip, locksmith/carpenter, Operations Center
Classified Transfer(s) for 2017-2018
- Boor, Matthew, roving custodian/South High School, night custodian/South High School
- Boyle, Eric, information system technician/MIS/Hageman, network administrator/MIS/Hageman
- Holen, Derek, overnight custodian/Central High School, military leave
- Isaacson, Melanie, receptionist/South Middle School, human resources assistant/District Office
- Jensen, Stephanie, human resources assistant/District Office, paraeducator/Meadowlark Elementary/CKCIE
- Johnson, Jack, night custodian/South High School, roving custodian/South High School
- Kincaid, Kourtney, paraeducator/CKCIE, paraeducator/Schilling Elementary/CKCIE
- Miller, Larry, night custodian/South High School, day custodian/South High School
- Rawls, Karen, paraeducator/Sunset Elementary/CKCIE, instructional assistant II/Schilling Elementary
- Rodda, Kristen, teacher assistant II/Heartland Programs, teacher assistant III/Heartland Early Education
- Tryon, Brittany, teacher assistant II/Heartland Programs, teacher assistant III/Heartland Early Education
Resignation of Supplemental Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Dix, Brad, cross country head high school, Central High School
Salina Stadium Change Order
The board of education approved the change order for McCownGordon Construction for the replacement of domestic water lines at Salina Stadium in the total amount of $119,464.
Coronado Elementary Gift Acceptance
The board of education approved the gift from Salina AMBUCS for the purchase and installation of playground equipment at Coronado Elementary School as presented at an estimated cost of $60,911.
Salina Adult Education Center Request
The board of education approved the Salina Adult Education Center request to apply for a grant through the Kansas Board of Regents in the amount of $7,522.
Board Team for Negotiations
The board of education appointed Nedra Elbl, board president, and Carol Brandert, board vice-president, to the board team for negotiations with NEA-Salina. Members include executive director of human resources/legal services and executive director of business.
Board Team for Meet & Confer
The board of education appointed Ann Zimmerman, board member, to the board team for the meet and confer process with representatives of the classified staff. Members include executive director of human resources/legal services, executive director of business, and manager of human resources. A newly-elected board member will be appointed on January 9, 2018.
The board of education set a special meeting on Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. in the district office for the purpose of meeting with area legislators and KSDE board member.
Neighborhood Revitalization Plan Amendment
Mike Schrage, deputy city manager, discussed the proposed amendment to the Neighborhood Revitalization Plan for the community.
KASB Legislative Committee Report
The board of education reviewed the KASB Legislative Committee Report.
School Board Reports
- Johnna Vosseller, board member, attended the Truancy Board meeting, the South High School play and the Partners4Success graduation.
- Ramona Newsom, board member, attended the Salina Adult Education Center (SAEC) Advisory meeting.
- Ann Zimmerman, board member, attended the Partners4Success graduation, the Head Start Policy Council meeting, the Smoky Hill Education Service Center (SHESC) Executive Cabinet meeting and legislative luncheon and the South High School play.
- Brett Cooper, board member, attended Salina Education Foundation (SEF) meetings.
- Mary Anne Trickle, board member, attended the candidate forum at Kansas Wesleyan University, the SHESC legislative luncheon and the Partners4Success graduation.
- Carol Brandert, vice-president, attended the NEA-Salina Executive Board meeting, the SAEC Advisory Board meeting, SHESC legislative luncheon, the Central Kansas Cooperative in Education Board of Control meeting, candidate forum and worked on the committee for the development of a board governance document.
- Nedra Elbl, board president, attended the Salina Chamber of Commerce meeting, the Central High School and South High School plays, the Partners4Success graduation, a South High School football game, the SEF Executive Board meeting and the SHESC legislative luncheon.
Upcoming Dates of Importance
- December 1-3, KASB Annual Convention, Wichita
- Thursday, December 14, DCP Graduation, Salina West, 4:00 p.m.
Dr. James Hardy, superintendent of schools, thanked Board of Education members who attended the Smoky Hill Education Service Center legislative luncheon with him. He attended the Saline County Doings meeting hosted by the Greater Salina Community Foundation. Dr. Hardy joined the English as a Second Language at Schilling for a celebratory breakfast honoring students who achieved proficiency. He attended the Veterans’ Day event at Meadowlark Ridge Elementary School and the South High School play. Dr. Hardy led Mrs. Plott’s 4th grade Oakdale students for an AccessTV taping of a holiday greeting for the Salina community. Dr. Hardy also visited a classroom at Stewart Elementary as Elizabeth Janzen’s Central High Spanish class read to students.
The board of education recessed into executive session for personnel.
The board of education reviewed Board Policy updates and continued work on the Board Governance document.