U.S.D. #305 Medication Procedure


    Written authorization from an M.D. (Doctor of Medicine and Surgery), D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic   Medicine), D.D.S. (Doctor of Dental Surgery), A.P.R.N. (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse , or P.A.(Physician’s Assistant) must accompany any prescription medication to be administered at school.  An Optometrist(O.D.) may prescribe certain topical medications for the eyes.  Chiropractic prescriptions are not accepted.


    1. Whenever possible, medication should be administered at home using a schedule that will not require doses during the school day. 
    2. Written authorization from a licensed prescriber and written permission from the parent/guardian (“USD 305 Permission for Medication Form”) must be provided for any prescription medication to be dispensed at school. The permission form must include the name of the student, name of the medication, dosage of medication, time the medication is to be given and the duration of administration. The medication must be provided in a correctly labeled prescription bottle and locked in the nurse’s office with the exception of prescribed inhalers. Students may self-administer prescribed inhalers with the appropriate documentation on file in the nurse’s office.
    3. Administration of over the counter medication (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Tums, Cough Drops etc.) requires only a parent/guardian signature on the “USD 305 Permission for Medication” form if administered per label directions. Any dosage/frequency other than the recommended label instructions will require a physician order. USD 305 will not provide/purchase medication for student administration. Over the counter medication must be provided by the parent/guardian in the original bottle and all medication must be locked in the nurse’s office.
    4. Any change in the time or dosage of medication must be accompanied by a written prescription from the prescriber.
    5. All medication is to be kept locked in the health room (exception for those with completed self-carry forms).
    6. Ideally medication that is a controlled substance (Ritalin, Adderall, etc.) should not be sent to school with students.  Parents/guardians should deliver the medication to the school nurse, health aide or office personnel to be counted and signed in. If a parent/guardian is unable to deliver the medication, please contact your school nurse to make  alternative arrangements. 
    7. Medication should be picked up when the illness is concluded or at the end of the school year.  Any medication not picked up at the end of the school year will be discarded. 
    Self-Administration of Emergency Medications
    Students shall be allowed to self-administer medication for the treatment of acute asthma episodes, diabetes, and anaphylaxis when the appropriate documentation is completed and filed in the nurse’s office. Please contact your school nurse for this documentation form.


Last Modified on April 27, 2018