Board Briefs - May 14, 2019
Superintendent Excellence Awards
Certificates were presented to the following students who qualified for state and national academic competitions:
South High School Forensics: Tiana Marion, Santiago Vasquez, Gavin Jones, Maya Daily, Brandon Stewart, Savannah Bonilla, Maddy Turner, Emma Smith, Jacob Sweet, Tristin Kinderknecht, Emma Shulda, Leileonna Masaniai, Seth Carter, Ayleen Escobedo, Ariana Nunez, Madisyn Willson Snook, Andrew Lagerman, Ashley Carraway, Mia Dennett, Kateryna Svertilova and Miriam Benavides. Megan Hagaman, coach.
Central High School Forensics: Jeb Allen, Alexia Berry, Lilly Myers and Kim Le. Jubilee Kinney, coach.
South High School Journalism: Kearra Alvarez, Lizzy Franco, Grace Hoge, Adriel Ordonez, Lauren Raubenstine, Kati Rivera, Marissa Russ, Alivia Heard, Kaylee Warren and Daniela Garcia. Kim Warren, adviser.
Central High School Journalism: Molly Michaelis, Kamryn Arnold, Miles Denning, Annie Taggart, Jerzee Mullins, Kadyn Cobb, Concha Campa, Marlie Coleman, Maria Gutierrez, Malcolm Berkley, Madeline Paradis, Isabella Rubino and Gavin Sutton. JD Garber and Shelby Dinkel, advisers.
Central High School FFA: Cauy Rickley, Madelin Smith, Kendra Scates, Ashley Abbott, Madison Crowder, Talus Price and Tazwell Yates. Brooke Petty, coach.
South High School FFA: Bailey Barry and Kaitlyn Elder. Brooke Petty, coach.
Central High School Kansas Career and Technical Education (CTE) Scholars: Thy Nguyen. Cindy Roets, sponsor.
Central High School YEC Challenge: Logan Losey, Kaylee Jones and Luke Stanford. Kelley Jones, sponsor.
Central High National Health Science Assessment Exam: Ashley Eck, Jorgian Ensz, Madison Crowder, Phoebe Helton, Thy Nguyen, Morgan Queen, Madison Stack, Jesslyn Stuart and Gavin Wolfmule. Peggy Kleiber, sponsor.
Certificates were presented to secondary teachers honored as Renaissance Teachers of the Month from January through May. Teachers included Jennifer Hedberg, Karen Abker, Ben Rohrer, Michael Hall, Solomon Rose, Central High School; Dan Cerny, Ericka Cain, Kiley Meyer, Kristen Hanks, Brenda Geist, South High School; Rachel Wendt, Angela Reese, Jayson Emig, Amanda Francisco, Alyssa Waldron, Lakewood Middle School; and Amy Diehl, Megan Alley, Bevin Welsch, Rose Wittman, Megan Pommer, South Middle School.
Appointment of Certified Contract(s) for 2019-2020
- Andres, Jacob, band, South Middle School/South High School
- Casey, Jennifer, school psychologist, CKCIE
- Hollen, Christine, high incidence special education teacher, CKCIE/Wilson Jr/Sr High School
- Simon, Daniel, grade 4, Sunset Elementary
- Sunley, Helena, grade 2, Coronado Elementary
- Turner, Lauren, adaptive special education, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
- Yarochowicz, Jesse, science, South High School
Classified to Certified Transfer(s) for 2019-2020
- Gray, Mya, psychometrician II/CKCIE, school psychologist/CKCIE
- Jamison, Heather, psychometrician II/CKCIE, school psychologist/CKCIE
- Long, Marissa, psychometrician II/CKCIE, school psychologist/CKCIE
Transfer of Certified Contract(s) for 2019-2020
- Barnett, Crystal, grade 1/Sunset Elementary, high incidence special education/Sunset Elementary/CKCIE
- Davison, Asza, Title I/grade 5/Cottonwood Elementary, grade 5/Cottonwood Elementary
- DeWitt, Christina, high incidence special education/Sunset Elementary/CKCIE, high incidence special education/Cottonwood Elementary/CKCIE
- Foster, Mary, high incidence special education/Lakewood Middle School/CKCIE, high incidence special education/Central High School/CKCIE
- Green, Amy, Title I/Oakdale Elementary, EPT science/social studies/Oakdale Elementary
- Hall, Susan, English Language Arts/Lakewood Middle School, ESL/Bilingual/Central High School
- Jackson-Stenlund, Kathryn, open contract/District Office, grade 4/Schilling Elementary
- Johnson, Jericho, grade 3/Cottonwood Elementary, Title I/grade 5/Cottonwood Elementary
- Krebaum, Tammi, Title I/Grade 3/Cottonwood Elementary, grade 3/Cottonwood Elementary
- Lawless, Susan, high incidence special education/Cottonwood Elementary/CKCIE, high incidence special education/CKCIE/Bennington Elementary/Jr. High School
- Mayorga, April, grade 5/Cottonwood Elementary, math coach/Oakdale Elementary
- Pavey, Angela, grade 3/Heusner Elementary, high incidence special education/Heusner Elementary/CKCIE
- Rose, Breyana, kindergarten/Cottonwood Elementary, grade 1/Cottonwood Elementary
- Stroda, Amber, high incidence special education/CKCIE/Chapman Elementary, high incidence special education/Lakewood Middle School/CKCIE
Resignation of Certified Contract(s) at the end of 2018-2019
- Barker, Emily, counselor, Lakewood Middle School
- Carlson, Karleen, grade 2, Coronado Elementary
- Conley, Julie, grade 4, Schilling Elementary
- Ladenburger, Megan, low incidence special education, South Middle School/CKCIE
- Lancaster, Sarah, social-emotional specialist, District Office
- Moretz, Tina, grade 1, Cottonwood Elementary
- Teller, Jessuli, speech language pathologist, Cottonwood Elementary/CKCIE
- Wildeman, Miranda, grade 5, Coronado Elementary
Appointment of Supplemental Contract(s) for 2019-2020
- Brungardt, Ryan, wrestling assistant high school, Central High School
- Dix, Brad, head cross country, Central High School
- MacKinney, John, football assistant middle school grade 7, Lakewood Middle School
- Weishaar, McKenzie, basketball assistant girls middle school grade 7, South Middle School
- Zamora, John, basketball head boys middle school grade 7, South Middle School
Classified Appointment(s) for 2018-2019
- Arnold, Danny, overnight custodian, South High School
- Duran, Aries, bilingual educational support staff, Central High School
Classified Appointment(s) for 2019-2020
- New, Brylee, volleyball assistant high school, South High School
- Stonebraker, Justin, basketball assistant boys middle school grade 7, South Middle School
Classified Resignation(s) for 2018-2019
- Barrett, Bertina, paraeducator, CKCIE/Herington PreK
- Billings, Tyler, paraeducator, Sunset Elementary/CKCIE
- Chance, Tera, paraeducator, CKCIE/Bennington High School
- Cook, Mary, pre-K teacher, Heartland Early Education
- Ebel, Scott, football assistant middle school grade 7, Lakewood Middle School
- Goodman, Stefanie, instructional assistant II, Cottonwood Elementary
- Graefe, Erik, paraeducator, CKCIE/Abilene High School
- Hanson, Leslie, paraeducator, CKCIE/Chapman Middle School
- Helton, Amber, instructional assistant II, Coronado Elementary
- Humphrey, Zachary, paraeducator, CKCIE/Minneapolis High School
- Johnston, Kirsten, Pre-K educator, Heartland Early Education
- Ketterman, Laura, ISS supervisor, South High School
- Koch, Abagail, Title I instructional assistant II, Sunset Elementary
- Lewis, Brittany, basketball assistant girls middle school grade 7, South Middle School
- Markley, Ashley, paraeducator, CKCIE/McKinley Elementary
- Morrison, Cindy, instructional assistant II, Oakdale Elementary
- Ragnoni, Denise, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Rollins, Deshante, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
- Stapleton, Chelsi, psychometrician II, CKCIE
- Stimatze, Brittany, paraeducator, South High School/CKCIE
- Winn, Misty, paraeducator, Coronado Elementary/CKCIE
Classified Resignation(s) for 2019-2020
- Barton, Kyle, paraeducator, CKCIE/Herington Middle School
- Snyder, Ashley, paraeducator, CKCIE/White City High School
Classified Retirement(s) for 2018-2019
- Kraemer, Karen, instructional assistant II, Sunset Elementary
Classified Transfer(s) for 2019-2020
- Froome, Lynette, administrative assistant V/Salina West, administrative assistant I/South High School
- Haas, Patricia, family consultant/Heartland Early Education, early childhood family and community liaison/District Office
Classified Transfer(s) for 2018-2019
- Ayers, Breanna, teacher assistant II/Heartland Early Education, teacher assistant III/Heartland Early Education
- Liby, Shayla, teacher assistant II/Heartland Early Education, teacher assistant III/Heartland Early Education
- Sharples-Stevenson, Melissa, teacher assistant II/Heartland Early Education, teacher assistant III/Heartland Early Education
Resignation of Supplemental Contract(s) at the end of 2018-2019
- Barnes, Tyler, freshman class sponsor, Central High School
- McDiffett, Danton, forensics assistant high school, Central High School
The board of education approved the following encumbrances: (1) Skyward, $63,231.50, annual renewal; (2) Pahls Enterprises Inc., DBA: Walt’s Refg., Htg. & AC, $50,000, equipment repairs and maintenance for SY 2019-2020; and (3) Weidenhammer, $34,873.50, maintenance renewal.
Custodial Supplies/Services Bid
The board of education approved the proposal from 4 State Maintenance and Supply in the estimated annual amount of $140,000.
Approve Coronado HVAC Replacement Bid
The board of education approved the bid of Callabresi Heating & Cooling, Inc. in the amount of $294,593 to replace packaged roof-top heating and air units at Coronado Elementary School.
Approve 2019-2020 Food Program Prices
The board of education approved a $0.10 (ten cent) increase in both student meal prices and adult meal prices for the 2019-2020 school year.
2019-2020 Food Program Prices
Elementary Students $1.70 $2.80
Middle School Students $1.85 $3.05
High School Students $1.85 $3.15
Adult/Guest $2.30 $3.80
Reduced Pay $0.30 $0.40
Salina Adult Basic Education
The board of education approved the FY20 Adult Basic Education Funding Amounts in the amount of $161,428.
Salina Regional Health Center Grant
The board of education approved the Salina Regional Health Center Grant Request to Apply in the amount of $15,150.
Meadowlark PTO Gift Acceptance
The board of education approved the gift from the Meadowlark PTO in the amount of $15,000 to assist in the installation of a walking trail.
Central High Robotics Gift Acceptance
The board of education approved the gift of $20,000 from the Gustaf & Hannah Applequist pass-through fund through the Greater Salina Community Foundation for the Central High Robotics team.
South High Band Out-of-State Field Trip
The board of education approved the South High band and orchestra trip to Orlando, FL on March 20 through March 23, 2020.
The board of education approved the textbook adoption, Illustrative Mathematics, and purchase of textbooks and instructional resources for middle school math.
Commencement Date for 2020
The board of education approved the 2020 Commencement Date of May 17, 2020.
2020 GED Graduation Date
The board of education set Thursday, May 28, 2020, 7 p.m., for the 2020 Salina Adult Education Center’s GED Graduation Ceremony. The ceremony’s location will be determined during the school year based on the number of graduates.
Capital Improvement Plan
The board of education was presented with the preliminary capital improvement, equipment and vehicle replacement lists for first reading and review. This will be brought back to the June 11, 2019 meeting for approval.
School Board Reports
- Gabe Grant, board member, attended the Retirement Reception, visited South High School (SHS) and Stewart Elementary and attended the Schilling Air Force Base Environmental meeting.
- Ann Zimmerman, board member, read to Sunset Elementary students, delivered treats to Opportunity Now, attended the Schilling Air Force Base Environmental meeting, Honors Night at both high schools, the Principal’s Breakfast at SHS, the Retirement Reception and the Smoky Hill Education Service Center Executive Cabinet meeting.
- Jim Fletcher, board member, attended the Retirement Reception, concerts at multiple schools, the SHS Principal’s Breakfast and delivered treats to CKCIE, MIS and Heartland Early Education.
- Carol Brandert, vice president, attended the K-NEA Retired Teachers Convention, the Retirement Reception and an NEA-Salina Executive Board meeting.
- Emma Doherty, board member, attended the District Health Council meeting, the Retirement Reception, the SHS Principal’s Breakfast and the Meet and Confer meeting.
- Nedra Elbl, president, attended the K-NEA Retired Teachers Convention, the Schilling Air Force Base Environmental meeting, the Retirement Reception, the SHS Honors program, the SHS Principal’s Breakfast, the Salina Education Foundation Executive meeting and delivered treats to Salina West.
Upcoming Dates of Importance
- Thursday, May 16, Salina West Senior Celebration, Salina West, 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 16, DCP Graduation, Salina West, 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 19, Graduations
- South High School – 2:00 p.m.
- Central High School – 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 30, SAEC Graduation Ceremony, Lakewood, 7:00 p.m.
Dr. James Hardy, superintendent of schools, attended the FFA Awards Banquet and an orchestra concert at South High School.
The board of education recessed into executive session for negotiations.
The board of education reviewed information about baseball and softball facilities and the Salina Athletic Partners.